Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Define Beauty

My daughter has taught me many things so far in her 33 months on this Earth.  One of the most important things is what beauty truly means.  As a woman it is easy to get wrapped up in the latest fashion trends, or makeup tricks, or wearing flashy jewelry.  It's all around us everyday and makes it easy to compare ourselves with those that are perceived by the public as being beautiful.  My daughter is such a beautiful person to me. I have come to realize that in her eyes I am beautiful too.  She compliments my soft hair while running her fingers through.  She pokes her tiny fingers into my deep dimples.  She notices if I'm not wearing a smile and asks why I am mad or sad.   She likes to point out all my moles (she would have a joy of a time playing connect the dots).  She will say "I wuv your eyes maw" (yes, my daughter calls me 'maw'). My nose, the one body part that has caused me the most self esteem issues, is her favorite when we give Eskimo kisses, and then she lets out a deep belly laugh.  Knowing that she admires these things about me makes me proud. Proud of who I am. Proud that she is mine. Proud that she sees beauty in others. 
I'll never forget several months back when my husband and I were getting ready to go somewhere and I was being negative nancy about my hair, makeup, clothes.  It was just one of those days where I didn't like any of it. It was a bad hair day (probably greasy and barely combed). My circles were darker than normal and bags hung under my eyes, really showing my lack of sleep. My clothes didn't fit right and made me feel uncomfortable. My husband pointed out how negative I was being, he reminded me that he thought I was beautiful and he also said something I'll never forget. He told me not to be so negative about myself and to be sure I don't speak like that in front of our daughter, because it would only teach her that it's ok to criticize the way God made you.  That little thing he said really stood out to me (and I'm willing to bet he doesn't even remember it).  From that day forward I have made a point to try to look at myself in a more positive way, or find something positive, especially on those 'down days.'  I tell my daughter she is beautiful or pretty often.  When she points out other people or things, I try to find something positive to say about whatever it may be.  There is so much negativity and criticism in this world, but I hope that I can instill a heart and mind in my daughter that sees the beauty in everything. God made each and everyone of us beautiful in our own unique way.

Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes.  You should clothe yourself instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 
1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments: