Monday, January 12, 2009

Jon's Residency Graduation

When Jon and I were getting close to graduating nursing school he found out about a residency program that Parkland Hospital in Dallas, TX offered to graduate nurses.   He was very interested since he definitely wanted to work in a critical care setting and he loves to learn!  He did some research and asked a few people about it and decided to apply.  After applying he heard numerous "horror stories" about how hard it was and that not many people make it through, but that if you do make it through you can work anywhere afterwards.  He thought long and hard about it and decided to apply and give it a shot.  He got an interview and we made a quick trip over here (not to mention I forgot his nice clothes for the interview).  Despite his casual attire they loved him and offered him a position on the spot, which apparently is unheard of.  He was beside himself but wanted to make sure this was the right thing to do so he weighed the pros and cons and decided to go for it.  So as soon as he accepted, the pressure was on me to find a job in the DFW area! :)  Luckily Cook Children's wanted me!  So we made the big move over here and in September Jon started the program.  After 15 weeks of class and work, 9 tests, many hours of studying and long work/school weeks, he was finished, and early might I add.  He did so great on all of his tests and during clinical hours that they let him out on his own early! I know it was a hard program to complete, but he sure did make it look easy!  I am so very proud of him!  I never had a doubt in my mind that he couldn't do it (he's the brains of the pair).  Hopefully now our schedules will be close to the same and we can enjoy spending time together again!  Congratulations Jon on completing the residency program, I am so proud of you!

I'm so proud of him!!
All the SICU Residents
      All the residency students

No comments: