Sunday, May 19, 2013

Back to Sleep

We made it through our first night of Lillian sleeping flat!! Let me start by going back to when she was home the first couple of nights...we (Jon and I) took turns sleeping while the other stayed awake and kept an eye on the baby. The reason we were such freaks in the beginning is because her reflux was terrible. She would gasp for air and choke and start coughing when she had a reflux episode. It was very scary for us! The reflux did get a little bit better as the days went on but we also never let her lay flat to sleep (or anytime really- I even rigged up her changing table to be elevated) Since we've been home, she has slept in our room in the bassinet part of her pack-n-play. It kept her elevated and it vibrated (which I think has helped her sleep for longer periods of time).















I noticed a few weeks ago that her feet were sticking out of the end of the bassinet, but I just assumed it was because she had wiggled herself down. I was wrong! Sweet girl is too long for the bassinet.


 I was afraid of putting her straight to her crib because it does not vibrate, so we are transitioning with the flat area of the pack-n-play, because it can still vibrate. I finally had Jon take the bassinet part off yesterday. Last night was our first night on the flat part and it went better than I expected! After she fell asleep last night I laid her down and not even five minutes later she was awake and coughing because of her reflux. I picked her up and rocked her back to sleep and we tried again. This time we were more successful. She stayed asleep for 3 1/2 hours. She normally would have slept at least 7 but maybe this sleeping flat will take some getting used to. I was able to feed her and she went back to sleep for another 3 hours. I fed her again and laid her back down and as of this moment she is still sleeping. I'm hoping the frequent waking is going to stop once she is used to sleeping this way (fingers crossed!). 


Our next obstacle...sleeping in her crib where there is no vibration. That's going to be hard for me too because that will mean she is on the other side of the house! I don't see that happening for quite a few weeks! :) I'm not ready for my baby to grow up and sleep in her own room! :)







1 comment:

Kay Sour said...

Yay! Lillian! She will be sleeping back to normal in no time We rigged the pack-n-play to be elevated too! And I am no where close to let Luke upstairs alone!