Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving almost seems to be overlooked these days.  As soon as Halloween is over, all you see is Christmas trees and Santa Claus everywhere.  Thanksgiving is a time to rejoice and be thankful for all that He has given to us.  Thanksgiving was a little bit different for me this year.  In the past I have spent the day with family, eating, napping, and watching football.  For a few years I visited my sister and we had a Thanksgiving dinner for all of her friends who couldn't go home for the holiday.  This year I have entered the "grown-up world" and I have to work tonight.  Jon went home to spend time with his parents and friends, and that left me here to have dinner with Annabelle and Charley before I go in to work.  I was a little sad at first, but I made the most of it.  I bought Charley and Annabelle some Dingo rawhide/chicken treats for them to feast on while I ate my dinner.  They loved them!  She went and hid so no one would take her treat away, and he gobbled his up in seconds.  
I did my best to replicate the dinner I would have had at my grandmother's house today.   I bought a rotisserie chicken (closest thing to a big turkey I could come up with) and some mashed potatoes from Target.  I bought some green bean casserole and cornbread dressing from Central Market, and I made the infamous peas and cheese.  Every year we make a dish we have named peas and cheese.  It sounds and looks disgusting, I will be the first to admit that, but it is, by far, my favorite thing to eat at holiday dinners.  It's basically butter and velveeta cheese melted then mixed with green peas and mushrooms with some sugar and cayenne pepper for seasoning.  I love it!  I even had some Crystal Light peach iced tea!  For dessert I bought a mini apple pie, and I don't think it was the fact that I wanted dessert as much as it was the fact that the mini pie was so cute!  My dinner was good, but it wasn't the same as being home with all of my family.  It made me realize that not only is it about the big dinner, but most of all the precious time you get to spend with your family.  

This Thanksgiving I am very thankful for the life He has given me and the people He has placed in my life.   He has blessed me with an amazing family, a wonderful boyfriend, loyal puppy dogs, and sweet friends.  I have a job that is very rewarding and gives me the opportunity to care for people who need it the most.  I love everything about this life!  Thank you Lord!  

It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High….
Psalm 92:1 


No comments: