Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Children are a gift from God!

I need to vent a little, so proceed with caution...

I don't have children of my own so I obviously don't know what it's like to be a parent.  There is one thing that I would like to tell parents though, BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR CHILD/ CHILDREN!  I was in Target just the other day and there was a lady there with her children, and from afar you would think, "oh that lady must really love her children."  You would think this because she was wearing a T-shirt with her children's hand prints all over it.  That right there is love my friends!   But then you get within earshot of this lady and her children and all you hear out of the lady's mouth is "Shut up!"  "Can you just wait a minute?"  "Not right now"  "I told you to SHUT UP"   For the 3 minutes I was around this lady all she did was put down her children.  They were in the card section and each child was picking out funny or cute cards and wanting to show their mom what they had found, but clearly she didn't give a hoot!  I was very close to saying to one of the children "I'm sorry sweet child that your mother doesn't have time for you... what's that you found?..  oh how funny!" and then smile at the child. I bet it would have made that child's day for someone to give her a little attention.  I mean would it really have been that big of an inconvenience for that mother to acknowledge her child for 30 seconds?! URG!    I get on Facebook and so often I see people's post about not getting any sleep because the newborn kept them up all night.  Well no shit Sherlock!  It's a baby that has to eat every 3-4 hours.  Be grateful you have one!   One more thing...I am a nurse in a PICU and too often we get patients who were abused by their parents.  Why have a child if you are going to purposefully step on their face, or shake the shit out of them, or kick them in the ribs?!  I promise you that someone will gratefully take your child off your hands and give him/her the love that is deserved!  I just don't get it.  Maybe it is because I do work with children all the time and I know how wonderful they are and what great people they have the potential to be.  I wonder if these parents that take their children for granted would have a change of heart if they were told that their child was diagnosed with cancer, or if it took them years to conceive that child, or if they new that in the near future that child would be taken from them.  I hope and pray that the day I become a parent I will never be ungrateful.  I pray that I will always remember what a gift a child is and to thank the Lord every day for the chance to be that child's mommy.

No comments: