Monday, September 12, 2011

Weekend Recap

We didn't have much going on this weekend and it was so nice! Friday we were excited about going to get our free breakfast from Chick-fil-a.  We made plans to meet at the house after we got off of work and ride up there together.  Well, when we got home our sweet neighbors had locked themselves out of their house, so we came to their rescue by calling an unlocking service.  We hung outside with them until they were able to get back in their house, and therefor missed out on the free breakfast.  Oh well!  That evening I was battling one of my awful headaches so we just layed low for the night.  I slept off and on Friday evening/night and woke up about 3 on Saturday morning and stayed awake the rest of the day!  I made us breakfast to start our day.  We then took the pups to the park.  We had so much fun!  It had been a while since we went to the park because the heat has been unbearable, especially for them.  Saturday was a beautiful day, with perfect temperatures, and lots of sunshine!
sweet baby girl

we love running!

big man

me and my baby boy

Jon and his baby girl

fun day at the park with the canine kids!
 The rest of Saturday was spent running errands, which also included lunch at Superior Bar & Grill.  Mexican food is my biggest weakness!   Saturday night LSU played Northwestern.   Jon and I decided to stay in and watch the game.  We had a minor difficulty at the beginning but were able to order the game.  Jon's parents came over and brought pizza!  We watched the Tigers win, and I went to sleep soon after!
After church on Sunday we grabbed some breakfast at Another Broken Egg (always yummy!).  Then the day consisted of a lot of football for Jon and quite a few naps for me!  I did make dinner and for one of our side dishes I made "Spicy Citrus Black Beans."   I must suggest you make this dish!  It was very easy and flavorful!!

black beans in my super cute tiny colander
Spicy Citrus Black Beans
by Annie's Eats
Ingredients:
1 (28 oz.) can black beans
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
pepper, chopped or minced (bell, Anaheim or jalapeno depending on your taste)
½-1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1½ tsp. dried oregano
2 bay leaves
½ tsp. salt
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. pureed chipotles in adobo
1½ tsp. ground cumin
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Juice of 2 limes (added lime zest – optional)
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Chopped fresh cilantro, to taste, plus more for garnish
Directions: 
Place the beans in a colander and rinse throughly.  Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Sauté the onion and pepper until tender, about 5-7 minutes.   Add the garlic and sauté just until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in the beans.  Mix in broth (more or less depending on how much liquid you would like) and bring to a simmer.  Mix in the oregano, bay leaves, salt, chipotle puree, cumin, orange juice, lime juice and vinegar.  Once simmering, reduce to medium-low or low and let simmer, covered, 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from the heat, stir in chopped fresh cilantro to taste and serve.
I added rotel tomatoes to mine.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I am trying to get myself geared up for the long week of work ahead of me.  Until next time...

 

No comments: