Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering...

I was a senior in high school on 9/11/2001.  I woke up, took my brother to school, decided to be rebellious and skipped school, only to go back home to go to sleep.  On my way back home I was trying to listen to the radio but all the stations were talking, and of course I wanted to hear some music, so I switched it over to the CD player and went about my business.  I went back to sleep once I got home and woke up later that afternoon, turned on the TV, and realized what I had missed.   At that time I didn't fully understand what this meant for our country.  I knew it was terrible news and I knew that our country seemed to be in trouble, but I was a naive selfish teenager, that was usually only concerned about what was going on in my life at that time.  I do remember stocking up on things like drinking water and gas for the car.  I also remember being worried because Barksdale Air Force base is located in our city.   I do remember being upset about all the lives lost, but it didn't really hit me until Jon and I made a trip to New York 8 years later.  We visited the church outside Ground Zero and saw where they were still cleaning and starting construction on what is now the 9/11 Memorial.

there is a patch from every fire or police department that came to NY to aid in the help and clean up after 9/11

this is a picture from the front yard of the church that survived 9/11
the blue area is where the twin towers used to stand

I am very proud to be an American and even more grateful for all of the men and women who are fighting for our freedom.  I have more respect for them than words can say.   I pray that the leaders of our country make the right decisions to keep the war off of our soil and to keep our country safe.  

On a more up beat note...here is a video of Charley singing along to Taps today...
God Bless America!

No comments: