Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mardi Gras Wreaths

For the past two years I had planned on making matching Mardi Gras wreaths to go on our front doors.  I bought most of the supplies I needed but never got around to making the wreaths.  This year I was determined to get it done.  All I really needed were the actual wreaths to decorate.  I was under the impression that I needed to use the fake greenery type wreath, I guess because I have one Mardi Gras wreath I bought years ago and that's what it originally started as.  After talking with a lady at Ellis Pottery I decided grapevine wreaths would work just fine.   One night this past week I was off of work and Jon was out of town so I figured it was the perfect time for a little craft project.   My mom and I went to Ellis Pottery and I got the two grapevine wreaths and headed home to get to work.
I set out all the supplies I had and tried to figure out what I would use and what would look best, etc.  I had two different types of metallic garland that I used to cover the grapevine wreaths.  They turned out better than I had expected...

Then I went to town adding and taking away and adding more things to the wreaths until I thought they were presentable.  It was a lot harder making two that needed to be opposite of each other and still making them look decent.  This is them almost complete...

I had to find a video on YouTube to teach me how to make a bow.  I still need a lot of practice, but I was able to get by this time.   I added the bows to the wreaths and a few mardi gras beads to give them some character.  Once they were finished I hung them on the front doors.  One of them I was able to use one of the suction cups I always use to hang the wreaths on the doors, but for some reason the other was not cooperating.  I found a 3M adhesive hook that I used and so far it is working great!  Here are a couple of pics of the finished products...




Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments: