Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hello 3rd Trimester



It doesn't seem like I am truly in the third trimester, the last leg of this pregnancy.  We went back to the doctor last week because I had to do the three hour glucose tolerance test to see if I in fact had gestational diabetes or not.  Before the appointment I had already convinced myself that I did and was ready to embrace the diet change and frequent finger pricks for glucose checks.  As soon as I arrived for my appointment they checked my fasting glucose which was 85 (it needed to be below 90).  I felt as though I got passed that part by the skin on my teeth.  I then drank the even sugaryer (haha, I definitely made that word up) drink than before and almost couldn't keep it down.  I asked what would happen if I vomited and she told me I would just have to drink more, so I forced myself to keep that mess down.  One hour later they checked my sugar and it was 124 (needed to be less than 180).  I almost cried because I was so excited.  One hour later (two hours after chugging the drink) they checked my sugar again and it was 129.  I just knew that meant I failed because my sugar had gone up, but she said I passed because it just needed to be below 150.  I really almost cried at this point!  I stood up and looked at Jon with the biggest smile on my face!  I was so thrilled and thankful not to have gestational diabetes!  We then saw the doctor and everything is going good.  Lillian's heart rate sounds wonderful (still music to my ears) and is a steady 150s.  We will start seeing the doctor every 2 weeks, so that puts us going back right after Christmas.
I am trying to continue to walk, but these days it's tough walking for an extended period of time without feeling like I might pee my pants!  My poor bladder is just super squished these days I suppose.  I told Jon that I may have to wear a diaper for my walks (of course I was kidding...maybe).  The temperature has also dropped significantly so walking outside is not so enjoyable anymore.  I may have to start walking the mall.  I guess I would fit in walking the mall with my diaper on....aren't most mall walkers at the age of needing Depends?!
We finished up with "baby classes" with a 2 session class on breast feeding.  It was taught by Brenda Dalton, who I hear could probably make a man lactate.  She was a great teacher and apparently is so helpful once the baby arrives.  I enjoyed the classes and feel I learned a lot, but I am still creeped out at the thought of breast feeding.  I don't know why?!  I know it's the most "natural" thing, but in my eyes, it still is somewhat weird for me.  I am going to do everything I can to make breast feeding work for me and Lillian, but I will not be completely heartbroken if it's not our thing.
I have been feeling pretty good lately, definitely more tired, but still feel good for the most part.  My ribs hurt a lot these days, but I think it's just because I am running out of room.  This past weekend my feet were ridiculously swollen, but after one evening of rest and elevation they were back to normal.  I know a lot of people are betting on me going on bedrest soon, but I am determined not to let that happen!  Lillian continues to be an active little girl, especially in the morning when I first wake up, and in the evening after I am off work.  I'm really looking forward to our next ultrasound (which will be in about 3 weeks), because I want to know what position she is in and about how big she is.  I'm betting we will have a chunky girl on our hands, which is fine with me! It is more to cuddle with!
This coming week my mom and I will be redoing Lillian's dresser/changing table so be expecting a post about that!
30 weeks

No comments: