Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Christmas snuck up on me once again this year. It really does not feel like it should be Christmas already!  We just got our Christmas tree 2 days ago (yes, that's right, 4 days before Christmas day).  I have had my house decorated for weeks with all my holiday decor, but we never made a trip to get a tree.  Jon said he didn't think it felt like Christmas without a tree so he went Friday night and picked one out for us.  I told him that we will have to be more on the ball next year since we will be introducing a new life to the traditions of Christmas.  I will say that I do love the Christmas season.  Some of my favorite things to do during this time of year are...
-driving around to look at Christmas lights.  I love to get a mug of hot chocolate and jump in the car and check out all the houses lit up.  I will admit that some of the houses are quite amusing with the blow up decorations and the Clark Griswald wanna-be's.   We have been around a few neighborhoods a couple times this year.  I am looking forward to next year when we can dress Lillian in her Christmas PJs and drive around to show her all the lights.
-enjoy the music.  There is just something about Christmas music that makes you happy and want to smile.  Now there are some songs that become annoying after you hear them 25,000 times in a day on the radio, but for the most part all Christmas music is enjoyable.  For the past 2 years we have driven to Dallas to go to a Christmas music concert of sorts at Jon's uncle's church, Prestonwood.  It is a megachurch to say the least with an enormous choir.  They put on a wonderful Christmas program.  It always brings tears to my eyes and joy to my heart!
-going to parties.  Whether it's a tacky Christmas sweater party, a night with the girls, or an office party, it's always nice to get together with friends during this time of the year.  My work had our Christmas party this year at Zocolo.  It was a lot of fun and made me even more thankful for my job.  I really feel appreciated where I work and I am so thankful for that!
-baking goodies.  I like to bake anyway, but during this time of year it really is fun.  I made some treats and bagged them up for the people I work with.  This evening I plan on making even more yummies, like fudge, cookies, and a pie!  I hope everyone is ready for some sweets.
-spending time with family.  My sister made it in town yesterday and will be here for a few days.  It's always nice having her in town.  We are heading out to my parents on Christmas eve night to eat and spend time with my parents and grandparents.  On Christmas day we are having lunch/dinner at our house and Jon's parents and uncles will be here.  Then Friday we are getting together with Jon's sisters and their families.  To me the holidays are all about family and spending time with one another, enjoying each others company, laughing and just having a good time.  I know this will be even more important to me in the coming years, since Jon and I will have a family of our own.    Jon and I have been talking a lot about traditions that we want to start with Lillian, and just the thought of having her around this time next year brings so much joy to my heart!  It's crazy to think that we will finally meet her in 2 shorts months!  I've been saying all along that once Christmas gets here it will be just about time for her to arrive.  Well Christmas is here, now it's time to get myself in gear and get ready for this sweet baby girl.
I hope that everyone has a very Merry Christmas and that we remember what the season is really about.  Take the time to hug your friends, tell your family you love them, and thank God for the many blessings he has bestowed upon us!

No comments: